Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- Please DO NOT EAT OR DRINK six hours prior to your surgery.
- Take your daily medications (i.e. blood pressure medication) with sips of water. Please check with Dr. Miyatake prior to your surgical date for any further instructions with medications.
- No smoking or drinking alcohol 24 hours prior to surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery. No smoking for five to seven days after surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, listen to Post-Operative Instructions and drive the patient home, and assist in making you comfortable at home. A parent or legal guardian MUST accompany patients under the age of 18 years old. NO Rideshare service (ie. Uber, Lyft) and NO public transportation (e. Taxi) unless accompanied by guardian or responsible adult.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow. Wear sensible, comfortable shoes. Please DO NOT wear flip flops or high heeled shoes.
- DO NOT WEAR body lotion, nail polish, heavy makeup, lipstick, contact lenses, any type of jewelry, and/or any valuables on the day of surgery. We are not responsible for any lost, broken, or stolen items.
- DO NOT have any electronic devices with you in surgery including but not limited to cell phones, ear/head phones, cameras, video recorders, and/or music devices. You will be asked to remove these items before you are escorted to surgery. We are not responsible for any lost, broken, or stolen items.
- Shower the evening before or just prior to surgery. We advise you not to shower for 12 hours after surgery. Brush your teeth the morning of your surgery, especially in the back.
- The patient will be requested to use the restroom just prior to the surgery.
- If you are currently taking Birth Control Pills, be aware that taking antibiotics will decrease the effectiveness of the Birth Control Pills and that alternative methods should be utilized.
- Please reschedule any dental treatment, i.e. teeth cleaning, at least two weeks after surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- *If you have any questions about your surgery or the above recommendations, please ask the surgical staff or the doctor. We are committed to making your surgical experience a comfortable one.
Cancellation Policy: If you are unable to keep your appointment, please give cancellation notice at least 48 business hours (Monday through Friday) before your scheduled appointment or a $50.00 service charge ($100 service charge if surgery scheduled with an anesthesiologist) will be added to your account.